The meeting was called to order by Chairman Peterson at 7:00 p.m. with the Pledge of Allegiance. All members, the Clerk, and nine residents were in attendance.
Motion by Bilek, second by Johnson to approve the minutes of the September 11th Board Meeting as presented. Carried unanimously.
A discussion took place regarding plans for clearing in the road and utility right of ways along Northview Harbor Drive. Crow Wing Power had begun clearing along the powerline and the mowing of the roadsides will be completed soon. The residents will be informed of any additional clearing of the road right-of-way that is needed once the power company is done.
Dale Orred presented a $250 donation to be used as needed at Fire Station 2.
Supervisor Bilek presented the Planning & Zoning report as follows:
- There had been 3 shoreline, and 6 septic permits issued during September.
- Attended the DRT meeting and discussed the O’Neil project.
- Discussed the variance requests by Todd Johnson regarding their property on Hidden Creek Court. Motion by Bilek, second by Johnson to recommend approval with no conditions. Carried unanimously.
- Discussed the variance requests by Roger Hubley regarding their property on Echo Bay Drive. Motion by Bilek, second by Johnson to recommend approval with no conditions. Carried unanimously.
Chairman Peterson presented the Road and Bridge report as follows:
- The annual certification of road mileage was reviewed. Mileage on two roads were measured and adjusted. The east end of Trout Lake Drive was vacated last year removing about .335 miles leaving a total of .306 miles. Northview Harbor Drive was corrected from the previous figure of .576 miles down to the correct length of .476 miles. After the corrections the total road mileage for the Township is now 48.256 miles. Motion by Peterson, second by Bilek to certify road mileage as presented. Carried unanimously.
- The Clerk presented a resolution to designate Northview Harbor Drive as a Residential Roadway under the provisions of Minn. Stat. §169.14, subd. 2(b). The roadway has already been posted as 25mph and qualifies as a roadway under one-half mile long. Motion by Peterson, second by Johnson to adopt Resolution 2017-05 as presented. Carried unanimously.
- Have finalized the cost share agreement with Crow Wing County for the feedback speed sign at the south end of the 35mph section of County Road 39 for northbound traffic. Expect the sign to be installed yet this fall.
- The paving for the new turnarounds at the end of Trout Lake Drive and Wabigoniss Shores Road is being completed today.
- Reviewed drainage issue on Birchdale Villa Road. A new home is being constructed there and the new driveway is causing issues for the neighbor. Spoke to the builder and they will work to resolve.
- Working on batching the salt/sand supply for the winter.
- Preparing to present the road construction plan for 2018 so that work can be coordinated with the county highway department. At this point, the plan includes:
- Chip sealcoat of Wildamere Drive with cost-share agreement with Jenkins Township;
- Received initial estimate for repaving of the next section of Ruttger Road & Twin Pond Lane;
- Crack sealing of roads as can be accomplished within budget-some work may need to wait until 2019;
- Replacement of selected signage.
- Attended a meeting with the county emergency services regarding the 9/20/17 storms that may qualify for state disaster assistance.
- There were no safety incidents.
Chairman Peterson presented the Fire Department report as follows:
- There were 11 calls during September – 4 fire; 7 first responder. Year to date count is 88 down from 100 by this time last year. Fire calls were for two mutual aid structure fires, one storm roadway cleanup, and one false alarm.
- Read press release from the Minnesota 100 club regarding benefit paid police officer Matthews killed on duty.
- Replacement rescue ATV & trailer for Station 2 is on order. The donation from Timothy Township towards this purchase has been received.
- Received notice of review of the general obligation bonds used to finance the new rescue/pumper truck. No changes are recommended at this time.
- Proceeds from the Beef Feed in the amount of $15,000 has been transferred to the Relief Association.
- Discussion of the department budget and relief association expenses charged to the Township. Peterson is suggesting that these expenses be paid from association funds and that the Township would then increase its annual contribution to compensate. This would make the record more clear as to the Township’s actual annual contribution to the Relief Association funding.
- There were no safety incidents.
Supervisor Bilek presented the Transfer Station/Recycling Center report as follows:
- September 2017 receipts of $7278; compared to September 2016 total of $6310. Total year to date receipts are $55,863. Permits issued in September was 59; year to date total is 1046.
- Things are going smoothly.
- Large amount of brush piled up due to recent storms.
A group of residents reported on the position held by WAPOA regarding the Enbridge Line 3 replacement routing and the upcoming public utilities hearing on 10/25/17 in Crosslake. The group asked the Board to consider adopting a resolution of opposition to the project routing.
Supervisor Johnson presented the Buildings, Grounds, Parks & Recreation report as follows:
- Standby generator equipment has been installed. Final hookup & testing will be done this week. An orientation session will be held on 10/19 where Board members, ICSO members, and residents can see the generator in action.
- The park water and sprinkler systems have been shutdown for the winter.
There was nothing to report on Legislative & Research issues.
Motion by Bilek, second by Johnson to accept the treasurer’s report for September as presented. Report includes receipts #5448 through #5466 totaling $69,741.21 and disbursements #SL090117 through #21519 for total of $70,123.77. Carried unanimously. The Clerk also reported that check #21513 was voided and that the third quarter payroll tax filings have been completed.
Motion by Bilek, second by Peterson to approve the September claims as presented; claims #43152 through #43182 totaling $90,349.63. Carried unanimously.
The Clerk presented a series of correspondence items as follows:
- The consolidated coverage policy was updated to add the standby generator value to the Town Hall replacement value.
Upcoming calendar items were reviewed as follows:
- The annual meeting of the Ideal Community Service Organization on Saturday, October 14.
- A demonstration of election equipment at the county offices on Wednesday October 18.
- The orientation session for the standby generator on Thursday October 19 at 10am.
- The fall meeting of the Crow Wing County Association of Township Officers on Monday October 23 at the Nokay Lake Township Hall.
- The MN Public Utilities Hearing regarding Enbridge Line 3 on October 25.
- The November Board Meeting on Monday November 13.
- The annual MN Association of Townships Conference on November 16-18 in Rochester, MN.
There being no further business to transact, the meeting adjourned at 9:15 pm.
Ideal Township Clerk-Treasurer
October 30th, 2017