Ideal Township

Crow Wing County - Minnesota

Board Meeting August 2018

Monday, August 13, 2018 - 7:00pm
Minutes Status: 
Approved

The meeting was called to order by Chairman Peterson at 7:00 p.m. with the Pledge of Allegiance. All Board members, the Clerk, and 3 others were in attendance.

Motion by Bilek, second by Johnson to approve the minutes of the July 9th Board Meeting as presented. Carried unanimously.

A resident asked about issue with pile of tin cans on property visible from County Road 39. This issue has been referred to the County as a land use issue.

Supervisor Bilek presented the Planning & Zoning report as follows:

  1. Attended the DRT meeting at the County today and reviewed several issues.
  2. Discussed the Hubley variance request and seemed to indicate there were options for building the structure within setbacks. Motion by Bilek, second by Johnson to recommend disapproval.

Chairman Peterson presented the Road and Bridge report as follows:

  1. Received the feasibility study on the County Road 145 shoulders that was commissioned by the City of Jenkins with support from Jenkins Township and Ideal. Peterson will review and report.
  2. Most of the road construction work is completed with just some finish work to be done yet on Ruttger and Twin Pond roads.
  3. Have contracted with Anderson Brothers to pave a section of the area by the new cold storage addition on the maintenance building.
  4. Expect to have the final pavement marking work done soon on the helipad at Station II.
  5. Working with Widseth Smith Nolting to develop a plan to rectify a drainage issue on the end of Birchdale Villa Road. An old drainage ditch is allowing water from the roadway to drain directly to the lake. Also working to coordinate the effort with the Whitefish Area Property Owners Association. Supervisor Johnson suggested that some funding may be available via the Clean Water Fund.
  6. Received a request from Trout Lake Camp for additional signage to indicate intersections and pedestrians in the area.
  7. Working with property owner to create a turnaround for the end of South Point Road.
  8. There were no safety incidents.

Chairman Peterson presented the Fire Department report as follows:

  1. There were 3 fire calls and 21 first responder calls during July. The fire calls were for 3 false alarms. Year to date count is 72.
  2. All the new garage door openers are now installed and working well.
  3. The Relief Association annual report and audit is completed. A discussion of the current & proposed benefit levels took place.
  4. Mark Sherman thanked the Board members for their help with shuttling diners at the Beef Feed.
  5. Planning a retirement party for Ronnie Schultz who retired after 40 years on the department.
  6. Mark Sherman presented an analysis of the Relief Association fund balances and proposed benefit level asking the Board to approve an increase from $2500 per year up to $2750. This level would put the fund at approximately 103% of liability. A discussion of fund performance and benefit levels in relation to the county-wide averages. The current benefit level puts Ideal in the lower end of the range for other department in the area and it can affect recruitment. Peterson stated he is not opposed to increasing the benefit level to be more in line with competing departments, but wants to insure that the fund remains fully funded even if there is a downturn in the markets. Motion by Bilek, second by Johnson to increase the benefit level by $200 to $2700. Carried unanimously.
  7. The signed fire contract with Timothy Township has been received.
  8. Discussed issue with the gate on Boat Street being coordinated with fire department and the DNR.
  9. There were no safety incidents.

Supervisor Bilek presented the Transfer Station/Recycling Center report as follows:

  1. Year to date receipts of $46,696, compared to last year at this time at $41,095.
  2. Year to date permits sold is 1056, compared to last year at 928.
  3. Had another report of trespassers last week that was called in to the sheriff’s office by a Pequot Lakes Sanitation driver. The sheriff suggested installing lighting for the gate and metal pile area to discourage trespassers. With lighting at the gate, patrols on County Road 16 would be able to see if trespassers are parked at the gate. Have gotten one bid from an electrician and also looking to get an estimate for security lighting from Crow Wing Power.
  4. Looking to get a proposal for hauling from Waste Partners to see if there are any cost savings or efficiencies available by using their services.

Supervisor Johnson presented the Buildings, Grounds, Parks & Recreation report as follows:

  1. Suggested having a work session for the Board to consider options for repairing the flat roof on the fire hall. Reviewed the two estimates received so far, but will contact other contractors to consider options.
  2. The addition to the maintenance building for cold storage is almost complete.
  3. Have received replacement part to repair the playground tube slide. Will work with maintenance crew to get it installed.
  4. Resolved issue with wasp nest in the pelican spring rider toy.
  5. Looking into implementing more security for park & community center via wifi cameras, lighting or other means. Clerk will check with People’s Security to see if a system can be bundled with services already in place in the maintenance building and transfer station.

Supervisor Johnson presented the Legislative & Research report as follows:

  1. Had another discussion with Briggs & Morgan attorney regarding the Charter franchise agreement renewal. Looking to negotiate commitments to expand coverage as that will promote growth for the township. A proposed agreement was received from Charter, so are working on response.
  2. The MN Association of Townships L & R Committee Meeting is coming up on September 19-20 in St Cloud. Supervisor Johnson & Peterson are planning to attend.

Motion by Bilek, second by Johnson to accept the treasurer’s report for July as presented. Report includes receipts #5613 through #5644 totaling $245,767.81 and disbursements #SL070118 through #22024 for total of $74,909.73 plus a $500,000 operating funds transfer to savings. Carried unanimously.

A discussion took place regarding certifying the levy for 2019 to the County which is due by September 15. The Board agreed that the total amount as approved at the Annual Meeting can be certified at $988,000. Due to proposed changes with the Township contribution to the Fire Department Relief Association, the allocation of the levy to the Capital Projects fund is to be reduced by $5000 and the Fire Department increased by $5000.

Motion by Peterson, second by Bilek to increase the 2nd half 2018 Township contribution to the Relief Association from $10,000 to $11,000. Carried unanimously.

Discussion of the effect the Relief Association benefit level increase may have on funding levels took place. In order to maintain a suitable funding level relative to liability, additional contribution by the Township will be required in future as benefit level are raised. Motion by Peterson, second by Bilek to increase the 2019 Township contribution to the Relief Association from $20,000 to $25,000 payable in two parts (July & December). Carried unanimously.

Motion by Johnson, second by Bilek to approve the August claims as presented; claims #43544 through #43589 totaling $91,271.00. Carried unanimously.

The Clerk presented a series of correspondence items as follows:

  1. Received invite to the Rinke Noonan Drainage & Waters Conference in February.
  2. Received notification of the state Town Aid projected for 2019 as $7143.
  3. Received the annual renewal notice for the employee health insurance through Health Partners. Renewal coverages & deductibles for 2019 will not change, but premiums will see a 19.84% increase. Analysis presented shows that the renewal premiums will still be less than what the Township was paying in 2013 prior to switching to the Health Partners high-deductible health savings plan.
  4. Received notice of compliance with the state Pay Equity program.
  5. Peterson presented a notification from the MN Association of Townships regarding data requests by the group called American Transparency about employee income and other financial info. Non-metro area Townships like Ideal are not subject to the State’s Data Practices Act and thus are not required to submit this info.
  6. Upcoming calendar items were reviewed.

There being no further business to transact, the meeting adjourned at 9:30 pm.

John Plein,
Ideal Township Clerk-Treasurer
August 22nd, 2018

Back to Top