Ideal Township

Crow Wing County - Minnesota

Board Meeting June 2017

Monday, June 12, 2017 - 7:00pm
Minutes Status: 
Approved

The meeting was called to order by Chairman Peterson at 7:00 p.m. with the Pledge of Allegiance. All members, the Clerk, and seven residents were in attendance.

Motion by Bilek, second by Peterson to approve the minutes of the May 8th Board Meeting,  the May 9th Special Meeting, the May 15th Special Meeting, the May 16th Special Meeting, the May 24th Special Meeting, the May 31st Road Vacation Hearing, and the June 8th Special Meeting as presented. Carried unanimously.

Residents of Northview Harbor Lane asked about maintenance on the road and mowing the right-of-way. A prior Board member had agreed to limit mowing along that road to allow the residents to maintain wildflowers. Peterson cited that the residents had not been mowing the road side as was agreed, that it created a potential hazard with long grass up to the road edge, and that there was no visible advantage to continuing the agreement. Supervisor Bilek commented about the benefits of having a consistent procedure for mowing roads throughout the Township. Supervisor Johnson cited that the Township could be held liable if an exemption for one road led to an accident. The residents asked for some time to research options that might mitigate the safety concerns. Peterson indicated that the mowing was underway and expected to be in their area very soon. Since the road is near the maintenance shop, he could check to see if it could be mowed later in the schedule. The residents said they will stay in touch and that they appreciated being able to work with the Township on their issues.

A resident asked about what can be done about a property on County Road 16 that has excessive junk in yard. Peterson explained that the Township has no ordinance on eyesore properties, but that the County Land Use Ordinances may have a provision for handling the case. The resident will check with the County.

Dale Orred presented a donation of $250 to be applied to Fire Department Station II.

Chairman Peterson presented the Fire Department report as follows:

  1. There were 8 calls in May – 1 false alarm & 7 first responder runs.
  2. There has been 33 calls year-to-date; last year to date count was 51.
  3. The 40th annual Beef Feed is coming up on August 9th.
  4. The department has sold 5 of the old SCBA units for $1250.
  5. The lift for the rescue boat has broken again. It is undersized and so the department is looking to purchase a new, properly-sized lift.
  6. There were no safety incidents.

Supervisor Bilek presented the Planning & Zoning report as follows:

  1. There were 9 septic/land use, and 4 shoreline alteration permits issued in May.
  2. Attended the DRT meeting to discuss a conditional use request for a business proposing to conduct retreats for disabled adults. Bilek had no concerns on the request.
  3. Reported on activity regarding new storage facility to be located on property across County Road 16 from the Town Hall. Quest Land Company has applied to have the parcel rezoned from Rural Residential 2.5 to Commercial 2 involving approximately 15 acres. Residents have submitted their opposition to the zoning change citing that the draft plans are not specific regarding setbacks and that, once the zoning is changed, the owners would be open to build anything there. Supervisor Johnson explained that the final decision is with the County Planning Commision, that it is in an area that has other commercial operations, and that it would be better to recommend approval with conditions to provide guidance that may help minimize the impact to the neighborhood. Motion by Bilek, second by Johnson to recommend approval with the following conditions:
    1. Buffer area maintained to screen development from the road;
    2. Down-facing lighting be used;
    3. Secure fencing surrounding area;
    4. Only one access road from CR 16 to the facility;
    5. Review of final plans to insure conditions are met.
      Carried unanimously.

Chairman Peterson presented the Road and Bridge report as follows:

  1. The paving and chip sealing work has been completed.
  2. Pavement marking is complete with the exception of Butternut Point Road which was delayed to complete chip seal work before the painting.
  3. Will make plan for some crack sealing work to be done yet this season.
  4. Construction work is to begin on the salt shed in mid-July. The area has been cleared and fill brought in. Lakeshore Construction is the lowest quote for paving the pad inside the shed. Concrete & erection work is contracted with Shingledecker Construction.
  5. Will work with the County to use the MNDOT Digital Inspection Vehicle to create a baseline rating of Township roads to help prioritize road construction plans.
  6. Peterson presented a resolution to dissolve the prior mowing agreement with residents of Northview Harbor Lane. Motion by Peterson, second by Bilek to adopt the resolution. Johnson asked to give residents some time to resolve their issues before mowing. Carried unanimously.
  7. Contractor is working on mailbox support installs after the road work.
  8. There were no safety incidents.

Supervisor Bilek presented the Transfer Station/Recycling Center report as follows:

  1. May 2017 receipts of $8,856. Total year to date receipts are $23,067. Permits issued in May was 223; year to date total is 740.
  2. Attended a meeting at the County Solid Waste office and was able to set the SCORE funding amount for 2018 at $30,000 – up from $22,500 in 2017.
  3. The County Solid Waste will be providing information to residents and will include info about the Ideal Transfer Station.
  4. Contracted with new metal recycler to remove the metal pile and appliances. He has picked up once already and will be available to pick up again in the fall. Nice to have a local hauler who can clear out the metal more often.

Supervisor Johnson presented the Buildings, Grounds, Parks & Recreation report as follows:

  1. Working through list of improvements compiled last fall. The baby changing stations have been received and will get installed soon.
  2. Working on details & specifications for the auxiliary generator for the Town Hall building. Looking to size the generator to allow for capacity to cover any possible emergency situation and eventually connect to the maintenance building.
  3. Discussion of the Buck-a-Bout piece in the playground that was damaged last fall. The repair parts are almost as expensive as purchasing a new unit. The new model is designed to allow for mounting below 1’ of sand fill to shield mounting hardware for safety. Motion by Johnson, second by Bilek to purchase a new unit at cost of $1600. Carried unanimously.
  4. An offer by the DNR Non-game Wildlife Program to install a purple martin house in the Ideal Park. Johnson asked the Clerk to find out about details of install and maintenance.

Motion by Bilek, second by Johnson to accept the treasurer’s report for May as presented. Report includes receipts #5344 through #5365 totaling $13,949.40 and disbursements #SL050117 through #21293 for total of $47,225.72. The report included an update to the Fund Balance classifications list. Carried unanimously.

Motion by Peterson, second by Bilek to approve the June claims as adjusted; claims #42952 through #43029 totaling $37,131.67. Adjustment were to re-allocate #43002 partially to fund 401, and #43004 to fund 210. Carried unanimously.

A resident asked about the May meeting minutes that references the purchase of a new ATV for Station II. Peterson said the old unit had become unreliable and expensive to fix. The department is looking for outside funding to help with the purchase.

Peterson spoke about the emergency recovery training that members attended last month. He is looking to setup follow-up training for township officials including how to deal with media during an emergency event and will see if the County would like to pre-stage disaster supplies at the Town Hall.

Bilek reported on issues regarding Hidden Creek that runs under Wabigoniss Shores. The culvert was cleaned out this spring, but beavers are already working to block it again. There are many people who canoe & kayak the creek so it would be best to keep the creek & culvert open. He has spoken with a beaver trapper and the DNR enforcement officer about the situation. The DNR will issue a permit allowing the trapper to remove the beavers. He is also speaking with the DNR hydrologist about the possibility of opening the south end of the creek into Whitefish Lake where it has been blocked by many years of ice heaves.

The Clerk presented a series of correspondence as follows:

  1. Received letter from Ehlers that they had reviewed the bond issue and found no advantage to refunding at this time. The municipal financing advisors there periodically review bonding to see if there are potential savings based on current market conditions. The general obligation bond was issued last year to finance the purchase of the new rescue/pumper Engine 16.
  2. The annual notice of estimated census count for the Township is 1,070 persons and 497 households as of April 1, 2016.
  3. Received a capital credit check from Crow Wing Power for $165.66. Also received notice of the upcoming annual meeting for the cooperative.
  4. Considering attending training – Front Desk Safety & Security – to be held in Brainerd in August. Board felt it could be helpful in light of recent abusive phone calls that have been received. Peterson felt that Board members and staff should not engage these individuals, document the incidents, and to call the sheriff if threatened by the behavior.
  5. Distributed the MN Association of Townships identification cards to the Board Members.

Upcoming calendar items were reviewed as follows:

  1. The County Planning Commission hearing regarding the Quest Land rezoning request on June 15.
  2. The MN Association of Townships Summer Short Course at various locations from June 19-29.
  3. The Whitefish Area Property Owners Association Shoreline Restoration Contest Meeting on Thursday June 22.
  4. Basics of Planning Zoning training in Little Falls on June 22.
  5. The next Board meeting on July 10.
  6. The annual Trout Lake Camp Neighbors Gathering on July 15.

There being no further business to transact, the meeting adjourned at 9:25 pm.

John Plein,
Ideal Township Clerk-Treasurer
June 24th, 2017

Back to Top